Here is a Quick guide to Add 2 Step login Verification on WordPress Blog using Google Authenticator. Lots of new and pro Bloggers who have suffered attacks on their WordPress Blogs uses 2 Step login verification on their WordPress blog to enhance their blog security by adding an extra layer of protection from hackers and Web Spammers. This simplest method is for WordPress self hosted blog. So whenever you login on your blog ext time you need to enter a one time code generated by Google app to get into WP Dashboard.
2 Step Verification on WordPress Blog
As WordPress is a self hosted blogging platform it has been targeted by large number of anonymous hackers around the globe. Your WordPress password can be grabbed by various of attacks, some of them are known as Brute Force attacks and Dictionary attacks. Major Web Security portals have reported that hackers use more than 1 million IP Addresses to break WordPress Login on the server. In order to protect your online Business you must be very cautious and use next level of security to be safe. With this most simple yet effective guide you will be using Google Authenticator for Adding 2 Step Verification on WordPress Blog.
What is 2 Step verification?
Most of you might be using “2 Step Verification system” on your Gmail and Facebook accounts. It adds 2 tire security on your account. After the admin enters the password he/she have to enter a secret one time code which is sent to a Mobile device or on App of the owner to access the account. With this method none other’s can access your account even if he/she is knowing your password. With the help of Google Authenticator App for Android and other platforms the 2 Step Verification system can be enabled on your self hosted WordPress Blogs also. Lets see how to do it
Google Authenticator generates 2-step verification codes on your smartphone. Enable 2-step verification to protect your account from hijacking by adding another layer of security. With 2-step verification signing in will require a code generated by the Google Authenticator app in addition to your account password.
There are numerous of WordPress plugins available to enhance WordPress blog security but heavy plugins use lots of memory and this will be difficult for your blog to survive on shared server. I will recommend WP Fence and Better WP Security to add an extra layer of security on your Blog. These security plugins will change table prefix, hide WP version and will limit Logging attempts from particular IP also it protects from various of attacks. Every professional blogger should mandatory use this plugins to protect his online Business.
Now 2-sstep verification for wordpress blog is much easier using “Clef WordPress plugin“. You can enable 2 factor login verification when installing WordPress via Softaclues or MOJO marketplace via your web hosting C-Panel or just download clef plugin and app on your smartphone to start.
How to Add 2 Step verification on WordPress Blog:
Now here comes the quick guide for enabling 2 step verification on your WordPress blog. lets see the basic terminologies first followed by the instructions.
- A self Hosted WordPress Blog with admin login details
- A Smartphone Android, iOS , I will recommend to use Android.
- Google Authenticator Android App (download from Google play)
- Google Authenticator WordPress Plugin (Download link)
That’s it! you just require the above 4 things to initiate 2 Step verification system now follow the below steps carefully and then implement it on your Blog.
- Now Log-in to your WordPress blog and go to Plugins.
- Now Install the Google Authenticator WordPress plugin and activate it
- Now Download Google Authenticator Android app from Google play and install it on your smartphone.
- Then navigate to Users>Your Profile on your WordPress dashboard and locate the Plugin option.
- Now you will need to create a new account on the Google Authenticator app for this WordPress login system.
- Just launch the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone and create a new account.
- Now just authenticate the app either with the secret code (displayed on your WordPress dashboard) or QR code and your are done.
- Finally finish the setup and You’re done adding 2 Step Verification to WordPress Blog!
I have been using this effective system from long time and have never faced any problems and issues. This method is very secure and safe as none others can get in to your WordPress account even if they have your password.
Share your reviews and suggestion on Two Step Verification system for WordPress and shower the love by sharing this useful guide with your friends. Stay tuned with us to get yourself updated towards latest Blogging tips.